Sunday, February 13, 2005

Busy times in our house

Just completed my second week in my new job and I am very busy, not just with all of the things associated with starting a job, but the job itself and moving everyone to Melbourne. In the interests of not getting fired in my third week like Mark Jen, I will not be blogging about the induction process, the benefits or anything else about the workplace. But I will give you a run down of the last few weeks.

Three weeks ago, we were packing up our house, having a garage sale and catching up with friends and family before I left. On the Friday at 4pm I called the removalists to confirm the arrival date of our goods, it was to be 3 - 4 days from pick up on the 7th Feb, overnight I was told. This provided us with a slight problem as we were not going to leave Sydney until the 8th and Melbourne is a 9-10 hour drive (with a child and a cat in the car). A new plan was now needed. Jayne, child and cat had to now fly down and I would drive separately.

Sunday 30th Jan was Jayne's birthday, it was also the day I flew to Melbourne to spend a week in our new house sleeping on an air bed as no furniture was in the house and start my new job. Starting a new job and basically sleeping on the floor is not recommended! While I was in Melbourne Jayne still had to work, finish packing oh and prepare for her sister's wedding the day before the furniture left for Melbourne. I flew back to Sydney on Saturday the 5th, spent 2 hours at home getting a run down on where the packing was up to, then all three of us went to the wedding rehearsal, then Jayne spent the night in town with the rest of the girls from the wedding party and I went home to finish packing, clean etc.

Sunday 6th Feb, wedding day. The morning was spent finishing all the packing as this was the last time we were in the house before the removalists arrived. About midday we (Ben & I) left to go to the wedding, on the way we picked up a family friend, went to the hotel were the girls were getting ready collected all of the bags from the bridesmaids and arrived at the church about 1 hour early. Ben was the usher and did a fantastic job at handing out the order of service. Both groom and bride made it to the church on time and were married. Then Ben home with my mother and we all went off to the reception. Jayne & I eventually got home at about 1am on Monday 7th, moving day!

6:30am moving day, the alarm goes off and we struggle out of bed, 7am removal guys arrive (6 hours after the we got home). The moving went without issue, my mother took Jayne, Ben and the cat to the airport at about 11:30am to fly down. Once everything was in the truck I then began the drive down, at about 2pm Monday. Jayne, Ben and the cat arrived in Melbourne without an issue.

I slept in a motel on the way and arrived in Melbourne about 2 hours after the truck, as with Melbourne it was raining! The truck left our house at about 4pm, we now had a house full of boxes and real work started. By about 6pm we were all exhausted and went out for pizza.

Wednesday, I went back to work in a very tired state, Ben off to school for his first day and Jayne was left to unpack :-).

Well it is now Sunday and the house is basically unpacked. Last night I got the ADSL back up and we have our network going and things can start to get back to normal.

One downside, given I work for a large company my laptop is locked down and as such I am yet to be able to get an RSS reader installed. This is a fairly large issue as how can I keep up with the feeds, one thought might be to use my phone, but I really do not want to pay for large amounts of data traffic. More investigation is needed. In the meantime I am going to take over the home PC as see what happens.

I have moved from this site to my new home which can be found a

posted by mspecht @ 2/13/2005 08:23:00 am   |